PM Vucic: Opposition thought that the “dictator” will bring the police into the streets
Serbian President-elect and current Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic said that the demonstrations against him were organized by his political opponents who were shocked with the election results.
PM Vucic said at a press conference held on Sunday that the ongoing demonstrations are organized by his political opponents who expected “the dictator would bring the police into the streets.” He added that he had already warned the public of such “scenario.”
“They were quite shocked by the results, and then, in 24 hours, they organized and started demonstrations,” PM Vucic said.
Demonstrations against the pre-election campaign and general conditions in Serbian society have started on Monday, a day after the presidential election, and they continue to grow. Unsatisfied citizens protest daily in almost all major Serbian cities.
PM Vucic won around 55 percent of the popular vote, but the opposition claims that the conditions in the pre-election campaign were unfair and undemocratic because Vucic had 92 percent of media time on national broadcasters while the other 10 candidates combined had only 8 percent.
“They [the opposition] wanted clashes and textbook tricks like giving flowers to the police. They wanted to use those pathetic tricks which were already used in so many countries. So, we recalled the police and the army in order to give them the freedom to do whatever they want, as much as they want, but without violence,” said PM Vucic.
He said that the demonstrations against him are a “celebration of democracy,” but he also warned that no one can put constitutional order in Serbia in jeopardy.
President-elect claims that some 8,400 citizens protested in Belgrade on Saturday while the organizers of yesterday’s protest, the Army and the Police Syndicates, claim there were 80,000 people in the streets of the Serbian capital.
Preuzimanje delova teksta ili teksta u celini je dozvoljeno, ali uz obavezno navođenje izvora i uz postavljanje linka ka izvornom tekstu na www.insajder.net.